Thursday, September 19, 2013

Firecracker 10K - July 4, 2012

My first 10K race put on by the Norfolk YMCA on the 4th of July.  I don't remember my exact time for this race, but I was second place female overall.  It.was.HOT.  It was pushing 90 degrees already at the start.  I think the race started around 7 or 7:30.

This day was kind of an emotional blur for me.  Ben's uncle had passed away, and his funeral was that morning.  My mentality for the race was run as fast as you can, then get home to get on with what was coming up that day.

The YMCA sponsors a few races a year, and this was their first ever 10K.  The holiday made the turn out not as great as they maybe expected.  And of course the dang heat.  The course started and ended at the Ta Ha Zouka Park south of Norfolk.  The park has a sidewalk trail leading out about 3 miles, then it turns into the gravel Cowboy Trail.  The course was an out and back, and there was a water station half way.


I came home with a medal and a sweet t-shirt.  I love to support the events sponsored by the YMCA.  They didn't repeat this race in 2013.  They opted to do an obstacle course style race at Skyview Lake.  Maybe someday I'll flip some tires for fun.