Thursday, September 19, 2013

Laugh and a Half Marathon - June 2012 - 1:57:59

Year two of the Laugh and a Half Marathon in conjunction with the Great American Comedy Festival.  I was originally signed up for the 5K like last year.  I ran my first half in Lincoln, and decided I would give this another try.  What the heck.

The week leading up the to race, I was in Colorado for work.  Summer Institute training is basically like financial aid school.  Golden, CO was absolutely stunning... and I found a nice trail to run on!


Our accommodations however, not so much...

Yup, dorm style.  All week.  Needless to say, I was going into the Saturday race on little sleep.  Angie and I had driven home from Golden on Friday.

But I really can't complain, the race is in my town, so I could sleep in my bed the night before, and I live about a mile from the starting line!  I was really excited about all of my friends running this race, either the 5K or the half.  I hadn't seen any of them for a whole week, so I was pretty excited!

Angela and I before her FIRST 5K!
Rachel, Sarah, and I before their 5K
Deb, Missey, and I at the starting line
The 5K route stays in town, the half route does not.  The loop takes you out of town, and then back down to loop through Norfolk Ave (aka our main drag) and back by Johnny Carson Theatre.  The real kicker is, you have to do it twice.  I wasn't sure how I would do with that mentally, but it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

All smiles!

My mom was my official photographer!
The weather was good, it was a little humid, but nothing terrible.  I remember at one point on the first loop telling my mom I need to go to the Rocky Mountains before every race!  I tried to exercise every day while we were in CO, and I did feel stronger running my first day back in lower altitude.  Guess that's why all the elites do it!  I was so happy to cross the finish line and see my time, 1:57:59!  I broke 2 hours!! I was so excited!  I didn't have a specific goal for this race, but breaking 2 had crossed my mind.  I just ran for fun, and I really had a blast!  Nothing better than getting to run a well organized half marathon right in your town!

Sarah and I at the finish line! 
See those clouds forming?  Yeah it started raining soon after I was done.  My mom drove me to Casey's for Gatorade, home to shower, and then a celebration lunch at Runza! (Nebraska thing!)  Little did I know, had I stayed for the awards, I actually placed in my age division!  I received a huge 2nd place medal in the mail about a month later!