Thursday, September 19, 2013

Race2Cure Cancer 10K - August 2012 - 51:48

My second 10K in August was pretty exciting.  This race is put on by some awesome gals in town, with the proceeds going to cancer research.  This was personal at this point, as the month before Ben's uncle lost his battle with cancer.  The race starts and ends at Northeast Community College where I work, so of course, I had to participate!  There was a 5K, 10K, 1/2 mile kid's run, and a 2 mile walk.  Ben's mom participated in the walk.  

They had some timing issues with the mats, so the race didn't start on time.  For an August morning, it was surprisingly chilly, but refreshing to run in.  The 5K route was an out and back, the 10K was a loop out of town, same roads at the Laugh and a Half.  This was a small race, the majority of the runners ran the 5K.  I ran a 51:48 (8:21 pace) which was good enough for 5th overall and first place female!  I know this is not blazing fast by any means, but this was my first win.  It sparked an intense competitive passion in me!

Who doesn't love a TROPHY?!