Monday, October 21, 2013

Governor's Run 15K Lincoln NE - Oct 2013 - 1:10:52

This was my first ever 15K race.  I was a little bit nervous about it, and I posted my pre-race thoughts last week.

I had no clue what to expect running a race at 3:00 pm.  At the starting line, a guy behind me was expressing his concerns to a friend.  "I only run early in the morning with no fuel."  Yeah, don't we all... anyway, it ended up working in my favor, and I felt strong and didn't have any um, GI issues.

Here's how it went down... Heidi and I left town leasurely around 11:00 and stopped for lunch about half way.  We each had a turkey sub at Subway, and literally ordered the exact same sandwich.  We know for next time we can split a footlong!  We each had some Baked Lays and a Vitamin Water as well.  We arrived in Lincoln plenty early, and got to the starting like about an hour and 15 minutes ahead of time.  We grabbed our packets and did some walking around to get limber from the drive.

I didn't take as many pictures as I should have... it was a GORGEOUS day.  Absolutely perfect!! Temps were maybe 60s?  It was overcast and a little wind, but not bad.  The Governor's Mansion was right across the street, and the back side of the state capitol was where we gathered.  We hung out inside the capitol to stretch and go to the bathroom.  I hadn't been in the state capitol since I was in the 4th grade!  It's such a neat place, and is exciting to be in, even all these years later.

With about 40 minutes til show time, I had my two O2 Golds.  And about 25 minutes out, I had my Spark and Arginine Extreme combo.  I took a Gu about 15 minutes before the race.  The fuel combo was perfect!

This course was so beautiful.  Everything about it was awesome!! Lincoln has some beautiful neighborhoods, and this definitely highlighted them!  My mile splits looked like this:
6:55 (OOPS), 7:33, 7:33, 7:37, 8:10 (WALL!), 7:42, 7:35, 7:32, 7:33.

Well, started too fast.  DUH.  I hit a major wall about halfway through, and was beating myself up over how poorly I executed this race.  Luckily, something got through to my legs, and I regained my composure.  I am pretty happy with these splits.  I like seeing all those 7s! :)





Seriously could not have asked for a better day!! SO much fun!  I would definitely do this race again!  Very well organized, good support.  The Lincoln Track Club knows how to put on races that's for sure!!