Saturday, October 26, 2013

Harvest Hustle 10K - Oct 2013 - 47:14 - 1st Female

I ran this 5K race last year, and it was wicked cold.  Today was gorgeous!  It was about 40 degrees and sunny, but the wind was starting to pick up.  This course is just stupid hilly.  Hill, after hill, after windy hill.  But I knew the course, knew what I was in for, and laced up anyway.  I finished first place female in the 5K last year, and had every intention of doing so this year in the 10K.

To save the suspense, I did.  I finished first female, second overall.  This was a SMALL race.  My time wasn't stellar, but given the hills and the wind, I was ok with it.  I need to find a flat 10K sometime to maybe bust out a killer PR :)

The race was at 9AM so my morning started with some toast, PB2, and half a banana.  My usual Advocare routine, which makes me feel AMAZING.  2 O2 Gold about 8:15, and my Spark/Arginine Extreme combo in the car on the way (about 20 minutes til race time)


Gotta love the awkward mirror selfie.  (I almost ALWAYS take these pre-race selfies before I put my hair up, it makes me feel better)  Gear was an Under Armour long sleeved shirt, Lincoln Mile t-shirt (I didn't run this race, but have a shirt.  Go figure) My lucky 10K Nike Tempo shorts, and black Pro Compression.  They were having some random contests at the race, like best outfit, best socks, etc like in a Halloween sense.  The girl at registration told me I could sign in for the sock part.  Uh no, my Pro Compression is not for decoration, it's medically necessary.  Thanks for asking. ;)

Splits : 7:05, 7:35, 7:52, 7:41, 7:19, 7:57, and some change for the last .2
YEAH positive splits... I don't think I've ever ran a race with negative splits.  Dang adrenaline from the get go shoots me in the foot every time.



First place female finish got me a SWEET gold medal AND a $25 gift certificate to Mocha Tan! AWESOME!



This was a small, local race, and it was great to support their cause.  I will probably always keep it on my fall schedule. I headed home to run 4 easy cool down miles (32 min) to make 10.2 miles for the day.

 
I LOVE the Mary Decker quote!! I saw it on Instagram right after the race, and it gave me goosebumps!  I related to Mary after my hip issue, and her dramatic fall.  But it's all about getting back up and simply loving to run!