Thursday, February 20, 2014

Runners love candy



I’ve been reading running blogs and comments for a solid year now, and I’m come to the conclusion that most runners love talking about candy almost as much as running.  I hope I’m not the only one that’s picked up on this!

I have a MASSIVE sweet tooth.  I love cookies, cake, candy, brownies, anything!  Frosting out of the jar, cool whip out of the container… yeah, I might have a problem.  But I’ve found the more I run, the more I crave candy.  I’m starting to think I have a sugar high addiction.  Running makes us all hungry, let’s be honest.  We’ve all experience the “runger” days, when all the food in the world won’t fill us up.  I try my hardest to get rounded nutrition, but candy seems to be part of the round lately!

I’m no scientist, I have no clue why my body suddenly can’t get enough sugar.  I’ve done a lot of reading lately about sugar detoxes and whole food challenges.  I think a sugar detox would KILL me.  I would love to have the discipline to do it, but I can’t say it will ever happen.  The funny thing is, I used to be a big diet pop drinker.  I RARELY drink pop now, and if I do, it’s never a whole lot.  Every once and awhile I will crave a little bit, and I will get one and take a few drinks and be good.  I’ve read that drinking pop increases your desire for other sweets.  So it’s odd that by not drinking pop, my candy cravings have increased!

I could live off M&Ms… ESPECIALLY the White Chocolate ones!


Caramels and Girl Scout cookies (with my name spelled wrong on them)

 
Oh, and the birthday cake Oreos… Which aren’t CANDY, they are their own food group!


I go back and forth with guilt over my junk food obsession lately.  Like I said, I eat as healthy as possible most of the time.  I pack my lunch and snacks for work, eat plenty of fruit, and make sure to get good carbs and protein.  I have never had a weight issue, luckily I’ve always had a good metabolism, and I have height, which I think always helps! 

Easter is my favorite holiday, and my favorite holiday candy.  Watch out world!