Sunday, February 16, 2014

Training and blister update

Another week of training is in the books.  I can't believe how fast this month is going!!  Friday was the half way mark.  I think the back and forth weather we've been having has made the time seem to go faster.  Some days it's -10 and the next day it's 50.  

I'll get to my workouts and runs in my recap post, but I actually knocked out everything I wanted to do this week!  Two Body Pump classes, two CXWORX classes, and some strength training on my own.  I feel SO much better when I've lifted multiple times a week, as opposed to the weeks where I might only get one or two small sessions in.  

On to the not so hot part of the week.... my blisters.  Last Saturday's 15 mile treadmill run did a serious number on my feet.  I have matching blisters on the balls of both feet, and they HURT.  I had to drain them due to their location, and the left one has dried back up, the right one is still hanging around.  I spent HOURS Googling ways to help them heal as quickly as possible, and of course keep them clean and free of infection.  

I haven't completely solved my problem yet, they are still hanging around being annoying, but here are a few products I picked up that have helped out.

I should have bought this stuff a long time ago!  I always get annoying cuts on my hands and fingers.  This worked great to cover the blisters with, as regular band aids kept pulling the skin around them and causing more pain.


I have a lovely blister on the inside of my big toe as well.  The finger and toe shaped band aid worked perfectly to cover that one.  The Dr. Scholl's are the larger ones that I did try on the bottom of my feet, but found the liquid skin to work better.  The Friction Block is great, and I clearly should have had some along time ago and I wouldn't be in this mess!

Yup, that's gauze and duct tape.  And the ONLY way I was able to run my 16 miler yesterday.  I covered the blisters with Liquid Skin first, then gauze, then wrapped duct tape around my entire foot.  I was really hesitant to try the duct tape.  I did a lot of research and discovered a lot of people use it.  I wanted to make sure I had the gauze underneath, because the thought of pulling duct tape off of a blister made me want to cry.  Crazy as it is, it did help.  The tape stays in place, and prevents friction on the hot spots.

I have to say, I am now a duct tape believer.  I hope that once my blisters get healed, and I don't have to do outrageously long treadmill runs any longer, my feet will be back to normal and not rub or blister.  But, if not, I am open to the duct tape before every long run idea... I'll keep you posted!