Wednesday, March 5, 2014

My favorite types of cross training



I’m not a high mileage runner.  I WISH I had the time and the body to run 60-70+ miles a week, but I just don’t.  I sit right in the 35-45 range.  45 is HIGH.  I would love to run every day, but I don’t.  I think I’ve found the combination that works best for me, in terms of when to cross train vs run.  I run 4-5 days a week, the other days are either cross training or rest.  Some days it’s a chore, I would rather just lace up my Mizunos and get a runner’s high.  Other days, I enjoy the change of pace.
 
Body Pump – hands down my favorite non-running day workout.  Based on my schedule, most weeks I am only able to get to the Express class over my lunch hour.  The Express class is only the main tracks, and it’s only about 35 minutes as opposed to the full hour.  In Express, we do warm up, squats, chest, back, core, and then alternate between either lunges, biceps, triceps, or shoulders.  I prefer the full class, but Express is better than nothing sometimes.



CXWORX – another Les Mills favorite.  I take this class on running days also, but sometimes will take it on an off day along with Body Pump.  Quick 30 minutes of core work!



Elliptical – I have a love/hate relationship with these machines.  Some days I love hopping on, turning on a good show, and just coasting through a 30-40 preset workout.  Other days the time drags and I almost die of boredom.  (That was me last night…) I don’t think I always work hard on the elliptical.  Let me rephrase, I RARELY work hard on the elliptical.  I always turn to a hill setting, so the resistance and incline changes for me, but I never really push myself.  It’s an easy, non-impact way to get my legs moving, so I guess it’s ok.



Arc Trainer – This machine never fails to kick my tail.  I use a setting, either hill, or cardio.  These machines are boring too, but I work up a killer sweat, as opposed to the elliptical.  My only issue with these machines is there is no happy little TV attached.  So be mentally prepared for boredom.  I enjoy people watching, so I just watch everyone else doing fun things, such as running…



So my workout recaps usually consist of some of these activities throughout the week.  I used to take a cycling class at least once a week, but I’ve gotten away from that in this training cycle.  I never feel like I’m set up right (my own fault, the instructors take set up appointments) and I don’t have clip in shoes (because all my $$ go to Mizunos).  All of these excuses, and some past hip issues, have kept me out of the cycling room.