Monday, March 17, 2014

Wisner Fire & EMS Leprechaun 5 Mile Run - March 2014 - 36:56

First race of 2014!!! And a 5 mile PR!


Heidi and I got there about an hour before the race started.  It's a 12 o'clock noon race, which is a little odd to me, but hey, it works.  The town has their St. Patty's celebration going on, so there are lots of people out and about.  We stretched and warmed up before the start.  It was cooler than I thought it would be, and pretty breezy.  Ok, windy...

I had my usual Spark and Arginine Extreme combo and a banana since I ate breakfast early.  I also took two O2 Gold about an hour before the race.

The 5K, 5 mile, and 2.2 mile race all start and end at the same location, just different turn around points.  We lined up in front of the fire hall and headed out.  I ran this race last year, so I knew what to expect.  There is a slight hill right at the turn around point for the 5 mile, but whenever there's an up, there's always a down.  The turn around was of course back into the wind, just like last year's race.  It was windy, but nothing like last year.  The temp was perfect, and I guess the wind was just like a big fan!

I'm going to be honest about my racing strategy.  It's probably not the best one, and it really goes against everything they ever teach you about racing, but I like to go out too fast.  I like to start at the front, and haul balls (pardon the expression...) until I'm out away from the pack.  I run a lot of fairly small races, so my success rate has been surprisingly high.  I was passed by two women the entire race, and a couple of guys that turned around at the 5K.  The two women led me the rest of the way until I caught them around mile 4.  We kind of hung close for a bit, then one bolted, and one fell back.

I finished second female overall, and first in my age group (19-29).  I'm pretty happy with that considering I wasn't super confident coming in.  I've been running long, and not necessarily fast lately.  So I was happy my legs could still pick up the pace when they needed to.  Splits: 7:00, 7:31, 7:27, 7:46, 7:11.

Heidi PRed and placed second in her age group!!  She rocked it!  I love racing with her!! She gives me so much support and encouragement!  Running friends = best friends!

After we got our medals, we headed to Subway for some delicious chopped salads!  And we wore our medals in Subway...


Definitely riding the runner's high on this one!  Race season finally feels real again!