Tuesday, April 29, 2014

I know some pretty awesome people

I’m incredibly lucky.  I have a wonderful family who supports me in everything I do.  I also have some amazing friends and co-worker BFFs.  The last two years of running has been a rollercoaster journey.  I’m glad I’ve had these people in my corner rooting for me.  They’ve seen me at my best and at my worst.  They cried when I cried last year when I hurt my hip, and they helped me celebrate PR milestones.  I’m so grateful.  They all make me smile, and I don’t know what I’d do without them.

My parents taught me to dream big.  They’ve supported me in every adventure I’ve embarked on.  They never missed a sporting event in high school, and no matter how rough of a game I had, they told me I did my best.  I always wanted to work hard and make them proud.  My mom has been to several of my races to drive me, take pictures, hold my bags, and cheer me on.  I’m so glad she’ll be with me on Saturday.  I joke that it’s so I have an emergency contact present in case things don’t go well… but really, it’s for the calming support.

I have a great friend I met through the YMCA who has ran the Brookings Marathon before.  She got me a card and some awesome gifts.  Her advice and support have meant so much to me throughout this entire training!






I love my job, but it has its days… In the nature of the financial aid business, you don’t always get to be the “good guy”.  People aren’t always nice to you, and you don’t always get to make everyone’s day all warm and fuzzy.  The reason I love it is truly because of the people I work with.  They’ve been my family for almost seven years now.  I’ve spent more time with them over the past 6 ½ years than I have my biological family.  This card makes me smile.  And my favorite coffee as a good luck gift!  Mocha Mint is way out of season and hard find, so I almost jumped out of my chair with excitement when Ang delivered this to me this afternoon!




Ben doesn’t really understand my running obsession, but he’s been there for the entire ride.  We started dating in March 2011, and I ran my first race ever that June.  He was at the finish line for my first half marathon in Lincoln in 2012, and I was so happy to see him.  He’s really the one that deserves the medal out of all of this.  He’s put up with me when I’ve been injured, when I can’t get out and run, when I can and have a bad one, when I’m freaking out with pre-race anxiety.  He deals with it all.  Sometimes I think his success is due to selective listening… But I’m so grateful none the less.  I know I could never date another runner, it’s best he is not so he can keep me sane!