Ever since I got serious about racing, I’ve always had a “secret
goal” time for each race. Some I’ve hit,
some I haven’t. I’m never public with
the specific goal before the race for a lot of reasons. It’s not that I’m scared of public failure,
but there is so much to celebrate with each race, that regardless of time, it
should be about celebration rather than disappointment.
My marathon goal last fall carried over to this spring. I feel 1000 times more confident in my abilities
now than I did last August before I hurt my hip. But the reality is regardless of how
confident training runs have made me, I’ve never ran 26.2 miles, and a lot can
happen. That said, the reason I am
confident is my consistency. I’ve never
really been all of the board with long run or half marathon paces, I’m pretty
darn consistent. The first four half
marathons of 2013 were all 1:47s, two of which were 1:47:14. I think it’s crazy to run two halves in the
same year with the finish time matching down to the SECOND. My long run paces have been consistent this
spring as well. Some days are slightly
faster than others, but temps and wind have played some factor.
I made a secret goal before my first 15K last fall. I’d never ran a 15K race before, and it was
an afternoon race. I had no idea what to
expect or how my body would respond. I
hit my goal, and felt amazing. I felt
disappointment after a couple of my half marathons last year when I didn’t hit
my goal. I think the 13.1 distance comes
with more pressure now. I know exactly
what I want and what I’m capable of, and don’t want to come up short. Maybe the secret to secret goal success is that
unknown distance… no pressure, just determination to do the best I possibly
can.
In exciting news, I received my bib number for the marathon
today! I can’t believe one week from now
I’ll be hitting the road and spending my last night prepping for the race.
No comments:
Post a Comment