Saturday, January 11, 2014

The fear of striking out...

"Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game."  

I don't know who actually said that quote, I tend to just think of Chad Michael Murry and Hilary Duff in "A Cinderella Story"...





http://content6.flixster.com/movie/11/16/79/11167920_det.jpg
Anyway... that's my motto signing up for a marathon for the second time.  I think back so many times to August when my hip gave me so many fits and ultimately ended the 2013 marathon dream.  I learned so many valuable lessons from that attempt at training and the injury that resulted, it's almost hard to hate how things ended up.  The day of the race was unbearably hot and my mom had to leave town abruptly after we got there for packet pick up the day before.  I wouldn't have had my cheerleader or likely a very pleasant experience running 26.2 miles that day.  Everything happens for a reason right?

I am confident in my abilities and I'm confident I can successfully complete another training cycle.  My fear is public failure.  I hyped myself up last time and sought out support from friends and family.  "Oh hey look everyone, I'm running a MARATHON!"  Which turned into, "I hurt myself and can't do anything..."  I'm scared that despite my best efforts, my body will fail me yet again.

I'm approaching training a little differently this time.  I have a lot more time to work with than I did last fall.  I also have winter temps opposed to horrible heat and humidity.  I would rather run in 20 degree weather or on the treadmill than 80s and humidity.  I have a calendar breaking down my weeks.  With more time, I have more flexibility.  I don't have to push myself through long run after long run and if something nags at me just ignore it.  No, I have time to be flexible and take some time off if needed, or supplement with cross training.

I'm three weeks into my training plan and feeling good.  Anything worth doing will take time to accomplish...

Brookings Marathon, May 3, 2014, I'm coming for you.