Thursday, September 19, 2013

Wisner Fire & EMS Leprechaun 5 Mile Run - March 2013 - 39:35

After a long winter of boring treadmill running, lots of group cycling, and the standard elliptical, it was time to race again!  The first race of 2013 was a 5 mile race in Wisner, NE.  Wisner is about 25 miles from Norfolk, and the race didn't start until noon.  It was in conjunction with their big St. Patrick's Day celebration.

Well, you guessed it, it's March.  It's Nebraska.  It was FREEZING.  The temp around noon was hovering right around 35 degrees.  And probably 18-20 MPH winds.  Brutal.

I layered a tank, t-shirt, long-sleeved shirt, and Under Armour hoodie.  I wore capris because I didn't feel like wearing running tights.  The race started and ended in front of the fire hall.  Inside the fire hall was packet and t-shirt pick up, and the bathrooms.  There is a 5K race along with the 5 mile.  Everyone starts at once, and the course is an out and back on a paved county road.  The out was cold, but not so bad.  The back, was a slap in the face.  The wind hit me like a brick.  It was the most difficult race I've ever ran.  I was convinced my fingers were going to fall off, and snot was running down my face (you're welcome).  My lungs hurt.  I really wanted to quit, and really wasn't sure why I decided to do this race.  I really wanted to do well, but my pace tanked hard the second half.  Official results 39:35 (7:55 pace)

My outfit and bib with medal!
My Nike watch wasn't accurate because I had the shoe pod on, which was conflicting with the GPS.  Oops.  Took me a while to figure that out!  I placed 2nd in the female 20-30 division.  I was pretty happy with that considering the conditions!