Thursday, February 6, 2014

Burnout

I've "hit the wall" in races before, pretty sure we all have.  This week I hit the wall hard in training.  And life in general really.  I feel absolutely exhausted and just burned out.  I took Tuesday as a rest day, and found myself begging for more.  I've been doing my running in the evenings because I just can't fathom the thought of getting out of bed in the morning.

I know this is a CLASSIC symptom of over training.  I finished January with my highest mileage in a month ever, and was going to Body Pump twice a week.  As soon as February hit, I felt like a bag of bricks hit me.  I know it's time to take one large chill pill, rest up, and re-group.  This morning, I found myself doubting my ability to even run a marathon.  It's crazy the mind games physical fatigue can cause.

I'm taking this week completely off of Body Pump, and doing some light weights on my own, and a little shred with Jillian.  I'm removing the hard strength training day and one running day and replacing with two easy elliptical days.  I hope to feel like myself again next week.  If not, another cut back week will be in order.

How do you cope with running burnout?