Friday, March 28, 2014

Side effects of marathon training



I’m on week 12 of 18 and truth be told, I hit a bit of a rough patch.  Last week just sucked.  I was dealing with a sore foot, and serious paranoia about the sore foot.  It made for a long week of confidence bruising.  I’m back at it with a better attitude and hopeful for a solid long run tomorrow.  Today I decided to actually get my hair done for once… and while I was sitting there, I was thinking about the side effects of my training.  They go like this:

Blisters.  Had another one to drain this morning.  Yeah, gross.  I’m so done with blisters!!!!  But, duct tape has been working miracles for me.

Aches and pains.  It’s been something different every day.  From hip to Achilles to foot.  I am consistently paranoid that something is going to hurt longer than a day and be bad news bears.

Weight gain.  I’m guilty of this.  I rarely weigh myself, but the last time I did, I had gained about 4 pounds from my last weigh in the late fall.  I’m not too concerned with the scale, but I do know that I use marathon training as an excuse to eat Pop Tarts late at night, and I shouldn’t.

Laundry.  Gotta love the extra loads of tights, dri fit shirts, hats, compression socks, sports bras… ya know.

Lack of social life.  I probably could have more control over this one, but I just chose to use training as an excuse to have to stay home and go to bed early on Friday nights.  I’m ok with being lame.  But, I won’t mind a Friday night margarita when this is all said and done.