Thursday, October 31, 2013

The importance of core training


I’ve uncovered many a revelation when it comes to gaining endurance and speed.  I reflected back to when I first started running.  I spent hour after hour on the elliptical, and would maybe use a weight machine every now and again.  Throw in a sit up here or there.  I had NO CLUE what a plank/hover was.  Or a bridge.  I attribute my strength and speed gains to a heck of a lot more miles, weights, a dose of craziness, and last but certainly not least, CORE TRAINING.
 

I’ve spent all of 2013 doing core work of some sort at least 3 times a week.  My preferred method is Les Mills CXWORX™.  If you are familiar with the Les Mills program, it’s set up in the form of tracks.  This class is a perfect amount of time (30 minutes) and there are 6 total tracks (songs) targeting each area of the core.



Les Mills CXWORX™ - Revolutionary Core Training
 From Les Mills.com:

WHAT’S IN IT FOR ME?

  • A quick, efficient workout in 30 minutes
  • A tough workout that challenges you mentally and physically
  • Tightens and tones core muscles
  • Improves functional strength for balance, mobility and injury prevention
  • Better understanding of how the core works and its importance to your physical health
  • Motivates you to venture outside your comfort zone

Pretty sweet.  Kidding, it’s killer.  But in a good way.  Our YMCA offers this class a few different times every day.  I am fortunate enough to be able to hit the lunch hour class.

CXWORX™ really hones in on the torso and sling muscles that connect your upper body to your lower body. It’s ideal for tightening your tummy and butt, while also improving functional strength and assisting in injury prevention.
It’ll help you run faster … play harder … stand stronger!
No ordinary workout, CXWORX™ hits many of the top fitness trends:
Core training 
Strength training 
Functional fitness 
Educated and experienced fitness professionals 
Group personal training 

(From Les Mills.com)

Having a strong core will make you better at everything.  Running, lifting, sports, you name it.  It will help with injury prevention too.  I’ve scaled back from 3 classes per week (90 minutes total) to 2 classes per week.  (Sometimes one if I’m really slacking).  I don’t find that I lose any strength by going less, I actually find that I’m stronger and really feel the benefit of the class again (aka soreness!)  A few of my friends are awesome enough to be certified instructors, and they always make class fun.  

Happy Halloween!! Great day for this orange and black themed post right.  I will be needing a few extra classes after the candy :)